Sunday, February 7, 2010

Arrived!

I'm here! I had a great flight and landed almost on time. The airport was so efficient that from the time we landed until the time I left the airport was less than 15 minutes!! I had no idea an airport could be that efficient. My host and hostess have been wonderful. The first thing we did was drive over to Richmond to see the Olympic Oval and the UBC Boathouse where I will be working. They are both all decked out in wonderful Olympic regalia. We didn't get out of the car because the roads are all blocked off and besides it was raining. Then we drove to Granville Island where they have a spectacular market filled with the most wonderful fresh vegetables, baked goods, fresh meat, flowers and craft artisans. It is a very unique area which used to be an old factory area. It has been spruced up and is now quite a tourist attraction.
We came back to their house and I got settled in in time to watch the Super Bowl! (But my friend Peyton lost!!)
Tomorrow I am hoping to go downtown to scout out some of the venues and check out the ticket office to see if I can get tickets for events on my days off. I hope it stops raining so I can get some decent pictures.
There is a wonderful video of the Olympic song "I Believe" on the www.ctvolympics.ca site.
I have been up for 19 hours now so I think I will crash and connect with you tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. The fun is just beginning Sharon. You will be living on adrenaline for the next few weeks. I'll look forward to reading all about your adventure.
    Cheers, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it begins!
    I got all excited just reading this first blog from BC...brought back memories. Granville Island is my absolute favorite place in Vancouver.
    I am sure you will have rain-free days! Hopefully they fall on those days you have off so you can do some exploring!
    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fantastic. I will soon be gluing myself to the TV in between our granddaughters Ringette tournament this week-end. You mention a host and hostess. Are you staying with them rather than your nephew's apartment?
    Can't wait for more stories. Keep them coming.
    Have a blast.

    Donna K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, Ed and I are in Bermuda enjoying reading your blog. Keep it going we can't wait for the next chapter!
    Have Fun and enjoy!
    Carole.P.

    ReplyDelete