Thursday, February 11, 2010

Training Day

I was so anxious to get started today. I left the apartment at 11:30 and got to the UBC Boathouse at 12:40. I hope it doesn't take much longer than that each day, because it sure adds to the length of the shifts! I am sorry I do not have any pictures for you today because I forgot to put the card back in the camera yesterday so all the pictures I took today are stuck in the camera. I have put it back in now so I will be ready to go tomorrow.
When I got to the Boathouse today the first thing they did was take my picture for the official accreditation. Then we were given our official vests (red) and scarves. We were given a tour of the facility. There is one large banquet room with a kitchen at the end and then several small rooms off to the side for administration. One of the things happening in those rooms is a ticket liaison. If someone has extra tickets they can be sold through Speed Skating Canada House much more cheaply than the Vanoc ticket service.
Our first job today was to prepare the medals for the parents. Whenever a speed skater wins a medal, his or her parents receive a medal in the shape of the speed skating Inukshuk. I will have a picture for you tomorrow. They are beautiful--made out of pewter. We were putting red satin ribbon through the hole today so they can be hung around the neck. We did 61 of them and they hope that all 61 will be given away. Several times today I heard people say "We expect to win medals every day!" That would be so exciting! We then took a tour of the kitchen and served the executives some munchies for lunch. I met the President of Speed Skating Canada and the President of Speed Skating Ontario is a volunteer in the Food and Beverage area with me. She is very nice and is staying in the same general area as me so we take the same transit home.
Today I met Susan Auch, a 2 time silver medallist for Canada in Speed Skating. She is also an analyst for CTV in speed skating.
Tomorrow is my first full shift. We are doing a reception for Friends and Family during the Opening Ceremonies. I can't wait!!

4 comments:

  1. your trip sounds just amazing thus far - truly going to be the trip of a lifetime. Your enthusiasm is infectious. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,
    Thanks for the great blog, we have your blog posted at the township library in Front of Yonge!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support Janet and Nancy. I look forward to checking for comments every day. Janet, tell everyone at excercise class I am thinking of them as I do my walks everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so wonderful Mom! I can't wait to see the pictures, make sure you include one of you in your "uniform!" We love reading your blog every day and showing the kids the pictures, they really miss you and are so excited for you. Enjoy every magical moment ... xoxo

    ReplyDelete