Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 5 of Competition

No pictures today! I couldn't find anything new to take a picture of. After doing my newspaper run this morning I read through everything and cut out what I wanted for the scrapbook. Apparently there are reports in Great Britain that these are the worst games ever organized and they are going to great lengths to outline all the problems. Well the biggest problem has been the weather and I don't see how that is Vancouver's fault and the other little glitches are barely hiccups. Personally I think things have been wonderful so far. I must admit, though that I would like to get closer to the Olympic flame. I couldn,t believe when I found out where it was, because that is where I went to pick up the tickets I had ordered online and the area looked terrible because it was all boarded up and looked like a construction zone. I thought it was because of all the international media that are housed in that area, but it was just hiding the flame.
Out at the Boathouse today the city of Fort St. John was hosting a reception for all friends and family because Denny Morrison is from there and they have built an energy efficient Speed Skating Oval in their little town in his honour. So you can imagine the disappointment when he raced. I talked to his dad afterward and apparently he was right on target for a top 3 finish when he slipped coming out of the 2nd last turn. It was hardly even noticeable, but when there is less than a second between 1st and 15th a tiny slip is deadly!
Disappointment turned to euphoria, however when the Short Track coverage came on and Mariana St.-Gelais ended up with her silver medal. She is so young and was so excited. It was also nice to see Jessica Gregg,s parents Randy, former NHL star and Kathy, a former Olympic Speed Skater.
My schedule was revised today, because our supervisors realized that we don,t need to all work such long shifts--especially on days when it is catered by a sponsor, so my days will be a couple of hours shorter each day.
I am not complaining.
We are looking forward to the women,s 1000m tomorrow with our Ontario girls, Kristina and Christine and I am looking forward to watching Patrick Chan- hoping he has a good skate now that the pressure is off.

2 comments:

  1. Hey until Great Britain hosts their own Olympics no one should judge! So far IMO the saddest was of course the bobsledder and too bad about the flame being poorly displayed but other than that it's great! Every site has their burdens to bear ... I remember many cancelations in the 88 Calgary Olympics because of wind for the skiing.

    I am a little conflicted as well about jow Van is putting up all the homeless people in residents and then back to the streets w/ them out after the Olympics. Something seems quite wrong to me about that to me.

    enjoy your updates Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Joanne. There are bound to be a few little glitches but everywhere I go and everyone I talk to is thrilled with everything so far.

    ReplyDelete