Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Boathouse




I did a dry run today to see how long it would take me to get to work. I walked to the bus stop, took the bus to the skytrain, the skytrain to Richmond and then a 1.2 km walk. That took 1 hour and 20 min. and the Olympics haven't even started yet. The boathouse is beautiful! I can't wait to start working. When I left the boathouse and started walking toward the Oval, a nice looking girl with all kinds of credentials around her neck was walking toward me. We smiled at each other and then I said "Catriona?" and she said "Yes!" It was Catriona LeMay Doan! I was so stunned I didn't say anything else and we just kept walking. I didn't take a picture or anything! I will have to get my act together if that happens again. I couldn't see much of the Oval because it is behind barriers--presumably until Friday.

Then I went back downtown again and the crowds are growing more every day. There are cameras everywhere!! The second picture is of Cambie street downtown which is closed for the duration of the Olympics and there are several sculptures which light up at night.

This is my last night with my gracious hosts. Tomorrow I move to my nephew's apartment.

4 comments:

  1. Sharon
    I hope I do it right this time - I thought I posted a comment a few days ago but do not see it. It sounds like you are right in your glory. Everything couldn't be happening to a more giving caring person. Nancy has posted your blog in three libraries and everyone loves it. I will keep watching.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sharon:
    Haven't heard of you for a long time. It has been many years since we were at Front of Yonge together! Fun reading of your experiences. It is nice to get a view from an "insider". Have a wonderful time! I will look forward to reading your entries. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,

    I am sharing your blog with my Grade 3/4 class. We wish we had known that you were going to the games. We would have loved to have sent along a Flat Stanley! Enjoy!
    From Paula Mooney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard, Paula and Jocelyn! Paula it is too bad we hadn't linked up ahead of time, but check out my pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/sharon.devries2010. If you have any pointers on how I can improve it let me know. I am very new at this!
    Elaine--it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete