Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 13 of Competition


Well my marvellous adventure has nearly come to an end. I hve completed my last shift and said my goodbyes to a wonderful group of people who have been my social group for the past 2 weeks. We have laughed and cried together and worked very hard at times. Many of the friends and families dropped in today to watch the women's hockey game. Most of the athletes still have races so they were practising, but I got to say goodbye to many of the families I have gotten to know very well. Clara Hughes' family were all out in force because this is the last time they will see many of the families, since Clara is retiring after these Olympics--a reason why her medal yesterday was so special.
After the hockey game we started setting up for the HBC sponsored breakfast tomorrow morning. I will miss it, but many of the athletes, families and volunteers will be there.
Another emotional night at the Pacific Colliseum. Joannie did her mother and her nation proud. I have to admit that I could not watch it. I listened to the commentary but just couldn't look. I will watch it tonight on reruns.
Our women played a wonderful hockey game. They certainly deserved to win. I wasn't too thrilled with the American girls' attitude when they received their medals. A few of the younger ones acknowledged the crowd, but most of them just had sour faces. Too bad they feel that way.
I don't know what it has been like in the rest of the country but I have to tell you that Canadian pride has never been stronger than it has in this city for the past 2 weeks. The other day trhe Sky Train pulled into the station and when the doors opened all you could hear was CA NA DA, CA NA DA. It was wonderful. People were talking to other people all over the place and bursting with pride that we were hosting the Olympics. I wish we could bottle the feeling and hold onto it forever.
I want to thank all of you for encouraging me to continue this blog. I have really enjoyed doing it, but there were some nights when I came home tired and didn't really feel like doing it, but I knew you were expecting it, so I pushed on and then was glad when I had done it.
My flight tomorrow sahouldn't be too bad because Westjet has little tv's so I will be able to watch the coverage on the way home, which will help the time go much faster.
It has been the thrill of a lifetime!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your blog with us, mom. It's been amazing and wonderful and surprising and emotional and especially memorable. We're elated that it's been such a wonderful experience for you, but secretly we're happy you're coming home! See you tonight.

    love, the deVries-Brennans xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU Sharon, for allowing us all to have a glimpse into your last two weeks. It's been a joy to see through the eyes of a volunteer.
    Treasure your memories.

    Safe travels home and enjoy your vacation with the family!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were my breakfast reading and re-reading!
    What a great experience for you and us (vicariously!)

    And please give my son a hug from me, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing!! It's been wonderful to have the "inside scoop"!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Sharon: the thrill of a lifetime. Enjoy the memories. susie

    ReplyDelete