Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 12 of Competition



Never in my life could I have imagined how I would feel watching a Canadian win a medal at home at the Olympics. I will treasure that feeling for the rest of my life, and the medal could not have gone to a nicer Canadian. Clara Hughes is the opitome of what you would want her to be. She always has a smile on her face, is kind, generous and always has time for you--no matter what the circumstances. When she did her victory lap in shoes after the flower ceremony, it was as if she was thanking every single one of us individually. It must have taken her 20 mins. to make the trip around. Not one person left the stadium before the ceremony was over.
I was sitting at the end of the last corner in a sea of orange. The Nederlanders certainly do love their speed skating! They were pretty obnoxious whenever a Dutch skater was skating, but they also cheered for any good skater. I was so shocked when I saw how fast they skated. I had read somewhere that at top speed they are going faster than the speed limit on city streets. That is 50km per hour, and when they are doing it right in front of you it is just phenomenal! Martina Sablikova, who won the race was incredibly smooth. Her upper body was motionless, even at the end. All the power was in the legs. My only disappointment was the venue. Inside it is an absolutely beautiful building, but all around the outside they have temporary tent-like structures which funnel people in only 2 gates which are open, and the washrooms are portapotties!!! I assume that is all for security reasons but it sure detracts from the building. I would love to come back and see these venues when they are no longer shrouded in all this security stuff!
I guess this has been Wonderful Wednesday! It sure beats Super Sunday which was a bust! Imagine coming 1st and 2nd in an event--4 medals altogether--and all of them from women!
Tomorrow is my last day at the Boathouse. I stopped in on my way back from the Oval to say goodbye to some of the girls I won't see again. I am going to be sad to leave. I will certainly miss the thrill and excitement, but I must admit that it has been tiring and I am looking forward to relaxing in Florida and spending time with my family.
I almost forgot to tell you that I went to the O Zone this morning before I went to the Oval. It was interesting but not exactly hopping! I guess I went too early, but I didn't want to be late for the race.

2 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    Thank you so much for all the blogs, it has become a daily ritual for me and my team here at Shell. We are truly enjoying the Olympic games, but more so enjoying reading your blog from the average persons perspective. I can't tell you how many time tears have come to my eyes with the stories and events you have told of (both happy and not so happy). Enjoy your last shift and the rest of the Olympics games. I will look forward to your next entry.

    Take care,

    Heather Cuming-Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather. I am glad you and your colleagues have enjoyed reading the blog. I think I am going to miss the contacts I have had through the blog almost as much as I will miss being here.

    ReplyDelete