Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 3 of Competition


I had a leisurely morning today. I spent most of it watching the men's downhill--a bit of a disappointment, but not totally unexpected. We don't have a good recent history in skiing, and all of the injuries certainly haven't helped. Still you can always hope for a good result. But Cypress Mountain has certainly been kind to Canada. We got our 3rd medal there today and that was a nice surprise.
I went to work for 2:30 and things were very quiet because most people who had been there for the breakfast in the morning were heading out to the Oval to watch the men's 500m. We knew we would get really busy around 7:00 when the race was supposed to be over and people would be coming back, hopefully to celebrate. Well the delay with the resurfacing machine meant that people didn't come back until almost 9:00 so it made for a very late night. People were a little disappointed with the Canadian results, but the Asians were expected to take at least 2 of the 3 medals--but they took all three.
I was tired when I got home, but I am off tomorrow so I won't have to stand on my feet for long stretches and that will be good. I must look really old, though. Almost every time I step on a bus or subway, someone stands up and offers me their seat! It is very nice.
I am going to my first event--men's curling. So watch for me on t.v., Wesley and Ella! Maybe you will see Grandma there!
I will be decked out in as much Canada gear as I can get on my body. Some of the getups are absolutely hilarious. The picture today is of a group of Dutch Speed Skating fans on their way to the Oval. So hopefully I will have many new things to share tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    What a fantastic experience. I have to say I am envious. Enjoy and I am really loving your reports, as are all the folks I work with.

    Take care,
    Heather Cuming-Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather! I enjoy writing it. There is no shortage of things to write about! It may start to drag near the end but so far my only trouble has been trying to highlight just enough so it isn't too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon!
    I'm loving your blog! Very neat to get the "inside scoop"!! Glad to hear you are having the time of your life!

    Darlene Suddard

    ReplyDelete