Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 6 of Competition


 
What a day! Now I know what happens when a speed skater wins a gold medal. First of all the Boathouse went absolutely crazy when the race was on, but the real excitement happened after the race! Within about 15 mins after the flower ceremony, people started streaming in as they walked over from the Oval. As soon as we knew the results, though, someone yelled out "Get the champagne on ice!" I actually thought they were kidding, but no, we put champagne in the freezer!
We served about 150 people an Asian meal, with spring rolls, something called potstickers and sushi. I couldn't believe how much they ate, but they drank even more. We couldn't keep ahead of the glasses with the dishwasher so I had to wash and dry glasses very quickly.
As is tradition, any former speed skating olympians who are able, come and celebrate any gold medal winner either at the Olympics or at the World Championships. In the picture you see Susan Auch proposing a toast to Christine Nesbitt our newest gold medalist. Also there, were Craig Mackay-speed skater for Canada in 1948 & '52 and Catriona Le May Doan. I missed getting her picture again, because she was so busy talking to old friends. It was quite a night. We all hope it will not be the last. After the toast we all watched a replay of Christine's race.
The other picture is of Sarah Gregg, who is the sister of Jessica Gregg who came 4th last night at Short Track, and Jamie Gregg who is a long track skater who hasn't raced yet. She designed the sweat shirt she is wearing and has them for sale. She is also a skater!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was an exciting night! I imagined it would be after watching the race. We watched hockey (close call for those guys!), curling (amazing job by both men & women!) and Patrick's long program (aside from the fall, it was awesome!) We are so proud of everyone and proud to be Canadian! Pictures are great ... looks beautiful with blue skies and sunshine!

    love, the deVries-Brennans xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the curling and spent most of the time with my eyes on the audience looking for you - no kidding. Didnt see you though. I saw the flower ceremony for Nesbitt and it brought tears to my eyes. I can only image how emotional it must be to be there live. Sounds like you are quite busy and I bet you fall into bed each night exhausted. Are the people you are working with friendly and helpful? Is it always the same bunch or do you work alongside different people each day. I look forward to reading your blog each morning. It's a great way to start the day.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mrs. D...and I hope I can call you that. I am a long time friend of Lisa's. I won;t say how long, because that will date us both :). I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed following you every step of the way. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes and I feel that you are providing me with some great insight. Keep on writing! You are doing a great job. You spoke about getting chills during the curling...I absolutely love that sport and can't believe how well Kevin Martin's group looks....I think that would be such an amazing event to watch and go to! I will keep reading as long as you keep writing!

    Cheers,

    Ken House

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, everyone. One of the things I look forward to most each day is to get up and check to see if I have any emails or comments. It makes my day to hear from home!
    Keep them coming. Canada's results are just going to get better. I feel it in my bones.

    ReplyDelete