Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 4 of Competition



Finally! A mascot sighting! Sorry Wesley, but Grandma only found Quatchi and Miga. They were waiting for me outside the curling venue when I went to watch the match today. I went early because I had heard that you had to go 2 hours ahead of time to get through security. When I went down to B.C.Place last week I saw a sign that said if you are carrying a bag smaller than 4" x 6" you can take the express check-in, so I just took my fanny pack and my camera. I went to the express lane and was inside in 10 mins. So that was really easy.
The atmosphere in the arena was absolutely electric. I am sure it was much louder than most of those curlers were used to. When Canada scored 3 in the 7th end the whole place erupted and lasted almost 5 minutes. It gave me chills!
Speaking of chills--how about that gold medal today in snowboard cross! What an exciting sport that is!
I have been faithfully reading the newspapers out here and I am REALLY getting annoyed about the emphasis on hockey. The tournament has barely begun and there were 12 pages in the Vancouver Sun today that had at least one hockey story on them. There are so many other struggling athletes out here that have put their lives on hold to represent their country and they have to take a back seat to multi-millionaire professionals!
Well that is my rant for today. I promise I won't mention it again but I will quietly seethe!
I had a wonderful day today waving my Canada flag, decked out in my Canada gear and ringing my cow bell. It doesn't get any better than this.
Tomorrow it is back to the Boathouse.
By the way I have gone back and labelled captions on the early pictures I entered so if you want an explanation you can go back and check at picasaweb.google.com/sharon.devries2010.

1 comment:

  1. That is so AWESOME mom! As soon as I saw the picture with the mascots, I smiled a huge smile. The kids were soooo excited to see that. Sounds like you had an amazing night at the curling rink. I can only imagine the energy in that building and the pride ... it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it! Have a great day ... xoxo

    PS I agree with you about the hockey! Shhh ... don't tell Steve.

    ReplyDelete