Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 10 of Competition

Wow! What an Ice Dance performance. That routine gives me goose bumps every time I see it. They are such a wonderful pair and so mature for their age.
I had a surprising day off today. There were no races at the Oval so they decided to give everyone an extra shift off. It was going to be a short shift for me today, but I didn`t mind having extra time to do some of the chores I need to do to get ready to leave. I went to the bank for hopefully the last time before I go home and did a laundry so I won`t have to do that again. The family I stayed with the first week invited me over for dinner, which was very nice. Paula had been to 2 figure skating events with her daughter so we all sat down together after dinner to watch the Ice Dance. It is so much more fun to watch an event with a group of people who all have the same goal in mind.
I also watched the XCountry Team Sprint this morning for both the men and women. We did extremely well--particularly the men. Alex Harvey is so young in a sport where many of the best are in their 30s. I remember his father Pierre Harvey who skied for Canada at the Calgary Olympics. He was the best we had at the time and I think he was about 25th in his races.
There was a really nice article in the Vancouver Sun this morning on the Morrison family, talking about how they were there together supporting each other. They must spend most of their time at the rink. They have 3 children-all elite skaters.
That is all the news for today. Sorry it wasn`t very interesting. Back to the Boathouse tomorrow so I should have more interesting things to talk about then.

1 comment:

  1. I missed the Ice Dance ~ will have to watch it online tonight but am SO happy they won!! I'm sure it was wonderful for you to watch it with others who also enjoy and understand the sport! How nice of them to have you over for an evening.

    I'm so proud of our XCountry guys! Of course there is no mention in the media of how incredible they all did, the best every performance by Canadians, but I'm very proud of them. How special for Alex Harvey to have broken his dad's record. Very cool.

    Enjoy your last few days mom ... can't believe it's coming to an end already! Take in as much as you can and enjoy every last minute.

    See you soon!

    lisa
    xo

    ReplyDelete