Monday, February 8, 2010

Downtown Vancouver



I went downtown today to explore and I started at the Olympics Superstore. This is the entire 1st floor of the main Hudson's Bay Co. store downtown. I could not believe how many items they had . They were divided into sections and the section for mascot merchandise was huge. I may have to buy another suitcase to get home! After it stopped raining I left the Superstore and walked around taking pictures of the various buildings that are decorated. The top picture is the RBC building. I finally found the information building at Robson Square and then found out they were selling tickets there as well. After standing in line for about an hour I was able to get a ticket for a curling draw on the 16th of February.
I was limited to my days off so there wasn't much choice. I was hoping to buy a ticket for a medal ceremony but there were none left on the days that I could go but they told me to look on a website tomorrow to see if some become available. I will definitely do that.
Robson Square is neat because they have built a skating rink there and yesterday Katarina Witt and Elizabeth Manley went for an impromptu skate on it. If you remember, in 1988 in Calgary, Katarina won the gold medal in women's figure skating and Elizabeth won the silver. They are both here as guest analysts for CTV and NBC and decided to go for a skate together. Too bad I missed it! I was one day late!
I am off to watch a basketball game tonight. My hosts' daughter is playing in the Regional tournament to see which teams qualify for the provincial championships. It should bring back some old memories!!

3 comments:

  1. Too bad you missed the skaters mom, that would have been great to see! I'm sure you'll happen across many other fantastic opportunities as the days go on. We're all so excited for you! Happy shopping and can't wait to hear more tomorrow ...

    love, the deVries-Brennans xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great start to an exciting time. The best opportunities may just arrive when you least expect them. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep the pictures coming - hope you are having a most excellent experience out there...

    ReplyDelete